Home »

Altenau, lower saxony

The meaning of «altenau, lower saxony»

Altenau ([ˈaltə.naʊ] (listen)) is a town and a former municipality in the district of Goslar, in Lower Saxony, Germany. Since 1 January 2015 it is part of the town Clausthal-Zellerfeld.

It is situated in the middle of the Harz mountains, between Clausthal-Zellerfeld and the Brocken. It was part of the former Samtgemeinde ("collective municipality") Oberharz.

The place is centrally located in the Upper Harz. Clausthal-Zellerfeld in the west is about ten kilometers, Goslar in the north about 15 km and Osterode am Harz in the southwest about 25 km away. To the east of the mountain town, twelve kilometers away, is the summit of the Brocken , which can be seen from many places in Altenau. The Oker flows through Altenau from south to north . Other streams flow into the Oker in the urban area and give Altenau a townscape with numerous valleys and hilltops. The area is heavily forested.

The Torfhaus settlement about ten kilometers away belongs to Altenau . This is at the highest point of the B 4 at about 800 m above sea level and consists mainly of tourist businesse. Torfhaus is located in the Harz National Park.

It was built together with the Sperberhaier dam in the years 1732–1734, which closed a gap in the Upper Harz water shelf and bridged a shallow valley basin at a height of up to 16 m. Most of the original house has been preserved. The dam house was originally built for the miners who used it as a changing room and prayer house. Later it was used as an official residence for the trench keeper. In the further course the dam house, also known under the names "The foal house on the Sperberhaier" and "Sperberhaier Zechenhaus", served to supply forest workers and hikers.

The Bastesiedlung is a former lumberjack settlement between Bad Harzburg and Torfhaus in the Goslar district in the Harz region . It consists of about six residential buildings and had 18 residents in 2012.

The Baste forest workers' settlement is located north of the Torfhaus district on Bundesstraße 4 and comprises six timber-framed half-timbered houses that were built between 1949 and 1950. The buildings are under monument protection.

Gemkenthal It is located on the B 498 directly at the Okertalsperre . The center of Altenau is about four kilometers south, while the Goslar district of Oker (Goslar) is ten kilometers north.

Gemkenthal consists of an inn. In addition, a sailing club.

Altenau is an old mining town.1227 First mentioned in connection with mining. In 1298 there was a smelting company in the Tischlertal, which was handed over to the Goslarer Burchard Erhaftig by Burchard von Wildenstein. This hut stands in 1310 and is run by Albrecht Colven. 1412 Construction of a house "Altenah" by the Duke of Braunschweig. 1525 citizens of Altenau join forces to form a shooting society. 1532 mention of a mine in Altenau. 1540 Start of mining at the Gang treasury and other pits.1570 Start of mining at other pits 1580 First mentioned as Bergflecken, 20 houses, today Rotenberger Straße and Oberstraße crossing the treasury. 1584 Ironworks to the favor.1588 Documentary mention of a church 1594 mention of 35 houses. Duke Wolfgang gave the place the directionality 1603 Already 50 buildings are mentioned 1606 Construction of the first town hall 1610 Previous construction of a silver smelter 1617 Elevation of Altenau to town 1636 Altenau fell to Duke August zu Braunschweig-Lüneburg-Celle 1636 Altenau became a free mining town 1642 Construction of the steeple of the later St. Nikolai Church 1653 50 houses are counted 1665 Altenau finally came to Hanover after disputes over inheritance 1669 Construction of the St. Nikolai Church in place of the previous building, located between the two settlement centers of the city 1673 Construction of today's town hall 1691 New construction of the silver smelter 1698 930 inhabitants are counted 1711 Start of mining at the Silberlilie mine December 18, 1729 flood of the Oker 1740 1400 inhabitants are counted 1746 closure of the pits on the Gerlachsbach 1748 Closure of the Güldener Hirsch mine 1762 Closure of the Green Treasury and Rose 1773 The silver lily pit is closed 1777 Johann Wolfgang von Goethe stays in Altenau July 6, 1794 a large fire destroyed 29 houses in the Breite Strasse 1794 Construction of a fiscal ironworks below the silverworks 1813 1174 inhabitants and 165 houses are counted 1871 cessation of the ironworks 1901 Foundation of the volunteer fire brigade 1911 closure of the silver smelter 1914 Connection of Altenau to the Innerstetalbahn 1972 Administrative community within the joint municipality of Upper Harz 1972 Construction of the holiday park "Glockenberg" 1977 Closure of the Innerstetalbahn 2015 The mining town of Altenau is dissolved.On January 1, 2015, the Upper Harz municipality and its affiliated municipalities, Bergstadt Altenau, Bergstadt Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Bergstadt Wildemann and Schulenberg im Oberharz, were dissolved by state law and the new mining and university town of Clausthal-Zellerfeld was formed from the previously independent municipalities. Previously, 62% of the Altenauers who voted had spoken out against it in a public survey; however, according to a clause in the statutes, the result was not binding on the council. Since then, the previous mountain town of Altenau and the previous community of Schulenberg in the Upper Harz have formed the joint village of Altenau-Schulenberg in the Upper Harz with a local council.

contact us full version